Tuesday, January 31, 2006

New Computers

The pharma company I work for just switched from a small, PDA-sized field computer to a much larger, and heavier, tablet manufactured by Fujitsu.
Before we received these new units, we were told how much faster they were, and how they'd make us more effective in the field. Now, on the second day we've used them, they're crashing faster than a Russian airliner.
They are also 4.5 lbs and not much smaller than a laptop, so you can't carry them in your pocket or hold them in one hand. Obviously, the genius at Home Office who bought this bill of goods never worked as a field rep.
I find myself longing for the glory days of paper receipts and no cell phones!

2 comments:

froggiegirl said...

very interesting...i can see how lugging around a heavy laptop could be a pain in the butt...but didn't you have a laptop with the old pharma company?

Merc Man said...

Yeah, I had an IBM Thinkpad at home as my desktop. For use in the field, I had a NEC handheld that was about the size of a cigarette carton. It had a fliptop lid and a keyboard.