Sunday, July 16, 2006

FORD--Fixed Or Repaired Daily

Saturday, Mrs MercMan and I loaded up the Mighty Merc and headed to Grandma Gimlet's house where we were to have dinner, view Gimlet and Froggiegirl's wedding photos, and get an early start to my birthday celebration. FroggieGirl's friend and Maid of Honor, Melissa, was also joining us, so we were looking forward to a fun afternoon and evening, safely inside Grandma's house on a scorching St. Louis Summer day.
We stopped at QT just up the road from G'Ma's to pick up the early edition of the Sunday paper, and purchased some PowerBall tickets just for grins. Unfortunately, when we got back out to the Merc, it wouldn't start. It cranked like a champ, but it appears the fuel pump expired, leaving a full tank of gas with no where to go and no way to get there. We walked back to G'Ma's house, wrung out as much sweat as we could, and then I returned to the scene of the crime in the hope it might be a simple case of vapor lock. Ha Ha.
By then, Gimlet arrived in his car and we vainly tried to reset the fuel pump relay in between spirited bouts of profanity. Luckily, a tow truck pulled in to the station and we were able to get a tow the few blocks to Grandma Gimlet's house, where the not-so-mighty Merc now lies mortally wounded.
I guess it could have been worse. We could have been on the highway on a 95 degree day when the engine stalled, or it could have happened six weeks ago during Gimlet and FroggieGirl's wedding. Bummer. Then again, it could have not happened at all. Stupid Ford!! There, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel a whole lot better.
Tomorrow, the lump goes to the dealer for a proper diagnosis (I hope!) and a substantial bill. I hear GM's having a big sale on light trucks, and I've always liked the Toyota Tundra, so.................?

8 comments:

froggiegirl said...

But without a Merc, how can you be the MercMan???

gimlet said...

Don't let a single car problem - as annoying and inconvenient it may be - get you down. What really matters is how few and far between these things happen.

When repairs start becoming routine (ie, the service techs at the local, er, BMW shop know you on a first-name basis), that's the time to sell the car.

Merc Man said...

I guess if I change vehicles, I could come up with a new name: ToyMan, ChevMan, HyundaiMan, MazMan. Thank goodness GM got rid of Oldsmobile or I'd morph into OldMan!

Merc Man said...

Actually, I'm quite calm re the car problems. I'm just a little ticked that the #!&^%! Merc broke down on my birthday eve. It's OK that a #@%*! part failed in 100-degree heat, and we had to pay to have the #@&*! car towed 2 blocks.
SERENITY NOW!! SERENITY NOW!!

JBear1982 said...

My dad has a Chevy Silverado, and loves it. I love to steal it whenever I get the chance...I feel so powerful in that big truck...get kind of an ego in there...get out of my way ppl- I'm bigger than you are...plus it has a V8! Whoohoo!

Merc Man said...

Yeah, I had a Chevy heavy-duty half-ton, long-bed pickup I bought new in 1978. It had a 350 engine, but the best part was sitting up above all the cars. Since it had to cool the cab, the a/c would freeze you even on the hottest days. Plus, it could haul everything from lumber to trees to car parts of all sizes. I still miss that truck

gimlet said...

I remember the Chevy Truck ads back in the day. "Nothing rusts like a Chevy Truck!"

Merc Man said...

GM was ahead of its time, promoting a recyclable vehicle.