Thursday, May 07, 2009

CVA--From ER to Recovery

Easter 2009 started out as a great weekend. I took Good Friday off, and spent the day relaxing with Mrs MercMan and Daisy the Golden Retriever. I even got to do a little woodworking, building a chinchilla bed for one of Gimlet and Froggie Girl's "doodles". We won't mention that I built it to the wrong specs, but it all turned out OK.
Easter Sunday, I enjoyed visiting with family and savoring our holiday meal. The only fly in the ointment was a little numbness in my left hand, which I wrote off to all the yard work/gutter cleaning from the day before.
Monday, I noticed I was also having a little trouble with my left ankle, which I again brushed off as hangover from the weekend. By Wednesday, though, I was limping badly, my left arm was now really numb, and I was unsteady on my feet. Finally, come Thursday morning, April 16, 2009, Mrs MercMan drove me to the Emergency Room of an area hospital and I was diagnosed with a "mild" stroke (or, as the medical folks call it, a cerebrovascular accident, or CVA). At 56, I got a wake-up call that I never saw coming. So much for over-confidence!
I've decided to document my experience, both to track my own recovery, and, hopefully, help someone else avoid my mistakes.

1 comment:

froggiegirl said...

We're glad you're doing better!

However, I must say that the picture is a bit misleading (1) you didn't ride in an ambulance, and (2) there wasn't snow on the ground.