Monday, September 19, 2005

Hardware store Heaven

I tell ya, there's nothing better than spending some time at a hardware store. I'm talking a fun visit here, not one involving plumbing or wallpaper. Just perusing all the tools, power and/or hand tools, is one of the best things a guy can do. Every time I go, and I go often, there's some new gadget that busts loose a bolt, trims a piece of wood, or cuts, digs, or scrapes the soil.
I'm not a fan of the big wharehouse-type stores with their 3 miles of floor space and 700 rows of Chinese duplex outlets. I like the smaller stores, especially Sears Hardware stores, because they've got a good selection at reasonable prices, and the majority of their Craftsman tools are made in the USA out of real forged steel (mmm........forged steel). The only complaint is that they recently added appliances to the stores, which takes up valuable floor space. Who needs a refrigerator with ice dispenser in the door when there are 12-inch compouned miter saws or 2-stage, oil-less air compressors to drool over?
So the next time you feel down, bored, or just need a little time with chrome-finish, offset box-end wrenches, head out to the hardware store. I guarantee it'll put a smile on your face and some new goodies in your toolbox.

2 comments:

froggiegirl said...

Actually...hate to say it...but the hardware store usually makes me tear up more of the house which never seems to get put back together...

gimlet said...

That's what duct tape is for!